Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Wedding, the Ring, and Remembrance

Note: In an attempt to tie together the three milestones of the Christian walk, I used the following as a short talk before presenting my newly baptized daughter with her first communion. It seems to have been well received, but I did it as a power-point presentation. I'm going to try and flesh it out in an essay form.

The Wedding (part1)

In Isaiah 61 and again in Matthew chapter nine, our relationship with God is described in terms of a wedding. In saying "I do" to the all-encompassing call of God-the-lover, to return to his arms, as a prodigal bride, renouncing the rebel yell of sin (of which Satan is merely the flag bearer, not the origin), in our wedding vow, we begin the first step (self-invited or not) of the Christian journey called Salvation.

I personally accepted Christ's call when I was in first grade. A fire-and-brimstone preacher came to my small Brethren school. During chapel service, he presented a picture of damnation so vivid and real that, when I lay in bed that night, with trembling fear and sincerity, I accepted the lifeline to heaven with a simple silent prayer. In my bed, face down in my pillow with tears or anxiety and relief, I went to sleep for the first time (even at that young age) knowing that, if I died, I would go to heaven. It was a feeling of complete security and faith that I have never experienced since.

Everyone who takes part in baptism first publicly acknowledges their salvation (the wedding vow). My oldest daughter Alexi, when she came us with her desire to be baptized, told my wife that she had accepted Christ silently in her bed just like I had twenty-five years previous.

It was as if a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. No matter what might happen, I knew I'd see her again in heaven. That night, our family danced together at a wedding feast (one that might be mirrored down-the-road).

No comments:

Post a Comment