Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What a coincidence!

I should clarify that ALL of these issues were unknown until yesterday morning:

I went downstairs to retrieve a plastic tote for Angel to swap seasonal cloths. While down there, I heard water dripping (never good).

I discovered a very leaky shut-off valve in the hot-water-tank's cold water intake and the valve came apart when I tried to fix it (over 50 years old). I shut off the house's water and went to Home Depot for a replacment valve. With additional muscle (and know-how) from my father-in-law, the valve was replaced and I turned the water back on to the house.

With the water back on, I was watching for leaks and noticed that the gas vent on the water tank was swiss-cheese and had been knocked loose by the earlier pipe-persuasion. CO alert! I'm sure the only thing saving us in the past ten years had been the general draftiness of the basement/house.

While inspecting the damage to the exhaust pipe, I heard a 'snapping" noise and got dripped on as the dish washer kicked into a new cycle. Looking up, I noticed electricity arching to a pipe and water coming through a hole in the floor above me.

A sensor in the dishwasher above my head had given out and was now pouring a few gallons of water into the basement and on to my head. Luckless, or not, it was draining down the power wire and through a hole in the floor instead of into the rest of the kitchen. My earlier electrician/carpenter job was not water proof and ran right by the pipes I had just fixed.

That night, after the whole string of events, I couldn't sleep for some reason. To settle my fears, I walked around the house and checked the various detectors; all of the fire detectors on the ground floor had low batteries and the CO detector... had a dead battery.

Maybe my oldest daughter's malaise has been a coincidence, the strain of a growth spurt. Maybe my own narcoleptic feelings have been from lack of sleep and stress... but maybe not. Whatever the cause, one possibility has hopefully been eliminated.

What a coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment